Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Dirty Shirt Hearthbreak

 

You know that piece of clothing you wore when you were a kid that was just the berries?  Whether it was a dress or a pair of boots or a hat or a shirt, you would wear it every day and in between times too.  It didn’t matter how ridiculous it looked on you, you would wear it and it was the only thing that made you feel comfortable and made you feel like you.  When I was a little girl I had this dress that I loved but I was so clumsy and such a dirt magnet that it would get filthy quite often.  It never felt the same when it wasn’t on me.  This is poem is dedicated to all those pieces of clothing.

 

Dirty Shirt Heartbreak

 

My favorite shirt is dirty

It’s sitting within view

A top my pile of laundry

Still covered in dusty dew

 

How I wish it were clean

So that I could wear it

I wish I had not seen

The stain from that carrot

 

It doesn’t really look good on me

But it’s my favorite, my absolute favorite

It doesn’t really fit either

But it’s so soft, so absolutely soft

 

I don’t think I’ll go out today

I just don’t want to

There is just no way

I need my shirt, I just do

1 comment:

Heather Nicole said...

brings back so many wonderful memories in so many cherished clothings...