Friday, January 16, 2009

I'm A Girl With

It is often refreshing to write honestly about one's self.  It is not often done, I believe, because it is much to scary to be frequented by many a melancholy artist.  The natural depression of the creative does not allow for too much time in self-reflection if one is to remain healthy.  So instead we write about things we don't know like far off lands with daggers and unicorns...well, I don't but I've heard some people do.

Nevertheless, I thought it might be appropriate today to post a poem that expresses the frustrations I had as a child and that still linger in me even now, as an adult.  I was terribly clumsy - more so than most - and I have not recovered. 

This is silly and was quite fun to write.  

An ode to being quite imperfect:
I'm a girl with
  broken-hearted
Songs and whispers
  tears and blisters

It's not so bad
     That I am small
It's just hard to hear
     when I call

I tie my bonnet
  with roses on it
To keep my tangles
  from flying in angles

It's not so bad
     That I am small
There's just no help
     for hair at all

So heal my scratches
  but don't cover with patches 
Forgive this wild
  and scrape-kneed child

It's not so bad
     That I'm small
It makes it closer
     when I fall

2 comments:

Heather Nicole said...

this is super fun! I love the simplicity and imperfections. way to go :)

Loris said...

I love you, Val!