Tuesday, March 18, 2008

blisters


Blisters...stupid blisters

People always say that mistakes help you to learn or struggle makes you stronger.  I have a 
question for all of those people...when?

I recently had a voyage, and I call it a voyage mostly because the length was longer than I was expecting.  Yes, it was a voyage and one that I was insufficiently prepared for.  I brought no jacket and I wore high heels.  

It all started like this:  I was born... and twenty five years later my friends decided to buy me a drink to celebrate the event.  "How wonderful!", you might think or "What wonderful friends!".  I would not argue with you at this point of the story nor would I blame the outcome on these two lovely individuals.  

We decided to walk and we also decided to take the pretty way, which always means longer. Early on in my epic adventure my friend said, "Do you need to change your shoes?".
"No", I said, "these shoes are miraculous.  I could wear them all day."

My pompous claims soon came tumbling down and I began to feel an extraordinarily sower pain in my right heal...then my left.  

If at this point I had said something to my friends they would have insisted that we turn around and go back but I could hardly be expected to admit that I was a fool and did not in fact have miracle shoes.  Repentance fails to be one of my strengths.  

So my unseen blisters grew and grew and my pride fell.  

I now sit with flip flops on, having worn them for the last three days despite the 30 degree weather, simply because I could not fit shoes over my circular shame tattoos.  

This reminds me of my own life experience.  I often talk up my own choices (like choosing a thankless and penniless career) only to recognize that other people's choices are valid too.  I love taking the pretty way but my vanity often inhibits my enjoyment.  

So I have blisters.  I've made a ton of stupid mistakes but I feel more weak than strong.  Yes, weak in the light of self-understanding.  When does the blister heal?  When do you become stronger because of your poor choices or your failure to see passed your own experience?

I suppose I have learned one thing.  If you have a long way to go...leave your vanity behind.  You'll be better off without it.

No comments: