Friday, March 7, 2008

No matter how I squint

“Sunset is an angel weeping, holding out a bloody sword.  No matter how I squint I can not make out what it’s pointing toward.”  -Bruce Cockburn

 summer

Years ago I was on one of my raids through my brother Eric’s album collection.  Many of his albums have disappeared this way and despite the fact that I have now extended this addiction to books and dishes or his ideas of general genius he has never once asked for one back.  Maybe my debt will soon be called up.  Hopefully he will not read this entry. 

 

Getting back to the story…years ago I was on one of my traditional raids when I came across a record that Eric had introduced to me once before.  It, all decorated in strange 90’s sparkle, was The Charity of Night by Bruce Cockburn.  I know initially I had made some sort of face with my tongue sticking out but after my second discovery, after popping open the plastic paradise, it quickly became part of my life soundtrack.

 

Unlike the larger majority of artists in the popular scene of music, Cockburn’s work extends beyond music and cd sales, beyond touring and his fan base.  He has dedicated his life to creating honest and stirring art that not only speaks of the human experience but advocates for the impoverished and manipulated among us.

 

As a musician and a person seeking deeper explanations of what we see here on earth but often do not understand, I found great nourishment and reassurance in the words and poignant melodies of Cockburn.

 

His song “Pacing the Cage” is the inspiration for this sight.  His career is an inspiration to my own.  “No matter how I squint I cannot make out what it’s pointing toward”.

 

-val

No comments: