Saturday, March 8, 2008

Where they meet


There certainly is a lot of confusion here.  And by here I mean earth.  You know...that big green thing that races around the sun.  Sometimes I feel that all this turning gives us vertigo and our whole lives are spent trying not to bash into each other.
inevitably we do.

I recently heard this incredible piece on NPR (yes I am advertising for them - shamelessly trying to get on the radio in whatever way possible) about a philosophical monk.  Whenever I hear the word monk on the radio I get excited or at least curious.  What monk...yeah monk...goes on the radio?  Visions toss in my head of Sister Wendy with her habit and oversized glasses.   It's gonna be really funny or I'm going to have to pull off to the side of the road to wipe the mascara off my now drenched face.

It was the latter.  

This monk, whose name I now forget, described our human situation as the place where the invisible meets the physical.  So essentially what makes us human is our souls being connected to our bodies and our bodies being thus connected to our souls (insert sobs).  Invisible touches physical.

Then I thought, this in a way is true of music as well.  Music, the truest kind, the real stuff that actually moves us, that touches our invisible, is in fact the place where divine understanding meets human confusion.  

So essentially we know that we were meant to live better lives.  We know that life is unfair but we don't understand why it is the way it is and why things happen the way they do.  Music expresses these and without words.  It is a cry of sorrow for what we should be but have lost without knowing why.

1 comment:

Page said...

I love your last last paragraph here. It accurately describes what I feel every time I hear the Faure Requiem's Pie Jesu and other such pieces. I think I need to continue to listen to more of your music to understand your take on it, too.